After only a week, I have made some progress on carrying out my GAME plan. The following are the ISTE standards that I am working on gaining confidence and proficiency in:
1) ISTE NETS-T Standard 2: Design and Develop Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
2) ISTE NETS-T Standard 4: Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
What resources will I need to carry out my plan?
1) I will begin by using the resources I have at my disposal within my school building. My colleagues and technology coordinator can help me find resources to enhance my curriculum. I will also get on the internet and search for lesson plans that other teachers have already developed to enrich their lessons. In addition, I will go back through some of my class resources that can help me.
2) I will once again use my technology coordinator as he continues to help all the staff to not only integrate technology but to do so responsibly. He has held several staff developments on how to properly cite internet sources.
What steps have I been able to take so far?
1) *I have already begun talking to my colleagues and my technology coordinator about resources they have used to enrich their lessons. I have also taken a small amount of time to do some internet researches. Within this research, my teaching partner and I found a Continent Adventure WebQuest to use for our social studies unit on continents. The WebQuest takes them on a trip to a continent of their choice to meet the people, experience the local culture, and see the sights. After their research, they will create a travel brochure to present to their class. The class will then compare the continents and vote on the class destination.
*Just this week I have been in contact with a third grade teacher in Orange County, CA. We are working together to develop a collaborative project for our two classes via the internet (wikis or blogs) and through Skype. We are also looking into setting our classes up to be pen pals.
2) *The last several weeks I have had students posting to our classroom blog. I have already been talking about how to stay safe when posting to the blog.
*During our Continent Adventure WebQuest, some students have asked to Google other sites to find the information they are seeking. Therefore, I have had the opportunity to talk about what to do if they find themselves on an inappropriate site. I have also had the opportunity to talk about not copying “word by word” unless they are going to cite their source.
*Today during our novel study, I used some pictures on the Smartboard to talk about the setting of our story. I cited the source and explained to my students why and how I did this.
What additional information do I need?
1) *I feel that I have an abundant amount of resources and have learned a lot about using authentic learning experiences throughout my master program. At this point, I feel I need to work on developing and implementing authentic lessons. As I am implementing the lessons, I will monitor that my students are engaged and the lessons are effective. Gathering this additional information will help me to adapt my lessons as needed. My principal has also volunteered to come critique any of my lessons as I implement them.
*The teacher in Orange County, CA and I need to brainstorm and research projects that we can work collaboratively on.
*I need to research different technology tools to use for the pen pal project. I have heard of people using epals, wikis, and blogs for such projects. I need to gather information to see which would be best for us. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I would love any input you have.
2) At this point, I do not need any additional information. I need to continue to stress how important it is to be safe on the internet, even at home, and model how to reflect legal and ethical behavior.